I love my work in tech but there is something I’ve been thinking about recently.
Happiness. Am I happy at work?
What i’ve found is that the seat of my unhappiness (at work and at home)is my unhealthy attachment to my code, team work events, conversations, projects and plans.
“Attachment is the source of all suffering.” -Buddha
I spend the majority of my time at work in an assertion driven engineering work flow. Stepping down from that mindset is hard.
- Learning to detachment is like learning to swim.
- Attachers and Detachers.
- Writing code affects my ability to detach.
- Detachment is a doorway into Mindfulness.
- Detachment is central to addressing complex concerns with others.
- Detaching from the digital revolution.
Here are some examples of detachment techniques I find help me re-centre when I’m struggling to communicate or think creatively.