These past few weeks my team has tried a number of cross skilling, pair programming and knowledge transfer experiments.
- Pairing with principal engineers on complex challenges.
- Coding with QA.
- Reducing the scope of sprints to a single goal rather than creating work for each skill set.
- Aggressive full stack pairing.
The impact has been very positive:
- Increased happiness and empathy.
- Radical solution-ing.
- Massive knowledge sharing and accelerated learning.
- Earlier defect detection.
- Increased velocity.
- Debt tech pay off.
- Engineering empathy.
I’d love to hear about other experiments people have been trying!